The Environmental Strategy of Rally Estonia
The environmental strategy of Rally Estonia is the principles of our environmental activities and the long-term goals and development directions, purposes and organizations involved in achieving the goals. The environmental strategy is defined as the development of the Rally Estonia's environmental policy.
FIA has assumed responsibility for reducing the climate change footprint and, in collaboration with the members at competition events, supports their efforts to reduce sustainable development and the carbon footprint.
The slogan that reflects our goals and strategies is ''Flat out to a green future!''
The strategic objectives for 2020-2030 are:
Climate change mitigation and air quality, carbon reduction and offsets
By 2050 Estonia aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the transport sector by 60 percent compared to 1990 levels. The specific sub-objective is to reduce the share of cars running on conventional fuels by half by 2030 and eliminate these completely by 2050.
FIA has set a strategic goal in 2021 to draw up plans to reduce carbon emissions by 20% in 2025 and 50% in 2030. In 2021 emission offsets will be started in the selected projects through compensation; In 2027 investments in carbon capture technology and possible synergies with sustainable fuels by 2030 will be started to achieve zero carbon status.
2. Waste reduction
RRR (reduce, reuse, recycle) principle
In order to decrease waste disposal, it is important to significantly reduce waste generation by developing waste sorting, recovery and recycling. It is also important to reduce the hazardousness of waste and the content of hazardous substances in waste.
3. Sustainable use of natural resources (protection of groundwater and surface water), conservation of landscapes and biodiversity
The aim is to monitor the amount of water and effluent used, reduce use where possible and treat effluent properly. Compliance with standards for protected areas and protected species.
4. Participation in sustainable development processes
RE considers the participation in the sustainability debate with researchers, other organizations and the general public important, by joining therefore the Green Tiger as a founding member.
Environmental objectives for 2021:
- Organizers use mainly hybrid cars, ensure an annual increase of 10% in hybrids;
- Compensation of 50% carbon emissions by afforestation by Rally Estonia on September 10 with organization team in cooperation with RMK
- Optimal transport logistics for spectators (via grouping of rally passes);
- Promoting carbon reduction - hybrid, hydrogen and electric car parking for spectators is free;
- Use of environmentally friendly means in service transport - recommendation for partners;
- Energy efficient lighting and equipment at the venue;
- Use of solar park energy in Leigo spectator area at the main consumption points;
- The use of disposable plastic is prohibited;
- Organizing waste management either in separate collections at the place of generation or through later sorting. Each spectator area has 1 place for waste sorting; separate collection of waste in the area of ERM. Separate collection of hazardous waste in the service park;
- Minimize paper printing through digital system development. Maximize the reuse of advertisements and posters by using LED screens instead;
- Reusable grandstands, stages, railings;
- Water supply and wastewater from the city water supply provided in RE centre, all wastewater generated at the event is directed to the public sewerage system. Temporary toilets in the stage area, service park and spectator area. Proper collection of surface water from the concrete surface is ensured; pre-cleaning before receiving water body;
- Proper washing of competition cars - water is cleaned mechanically before running into the storm water drain, no detergents are used;
- Some Rally Estonia stages will be held in the nature park. The activities will be coordinated in advance with the relevant authority, spectator areas will be located in suitable places where biodiversity will not be affected (outside special protection zones) and the necessary temporary infrastructure will be provided;
- 2021 is also the year of the precise definition of the environmental footprint. At the end of the rally the balance sheet of all load or pressure indicators affecting the environment - indicators that record the intensity of human activity - will be drawn up. RE measures and monitors the indicators per person involved.
The Environmental Strategy of Rally Estonia (pdf)